Swim with the largest mammals on earth!
For several years, Sri Lanka has been able to boast being the world’s top location to spot Blue Whales and Sperm Whales as they travel a long distance to warmer feeding grounds in the Bay of Bengal. Sperm Whales, Blue Whales, pilot Whales appear off the eastern coast of Trincomalee.
- Please do not touch or disturb the whales, do not harm the creatures or their natural habitats.
- The Indian Ocean can be a little bit choppy sometimes . If you tend to get motion sickness , we advise you to take a pill 1 hour before getting on the boat
- The Team will do their best to spot the biggest mammals in the deep blue water, Please understand that there is no guarantee to see whales as wildlife cannot be planned.
- You can also arrange a private tour! Just contact us!
What to see?
You can experience the largest mammals on earth in their natural habitat. With up to 100 feet long and upwards of 200 tons Blue whales are friendly giant whose diet composed nearly exclusively of tiny shrimplike animals called krill. The sperm whale is the largest of the toothed whales and can easily recognized by its massive head and prominent rounded forehead containing the largest brain of any creature known to have lived on Earth. From the boat you can often spot groups of spinner dolphins playing in the water.
When to go?
Most sightings occur between end of February and March. Whales continue their migrations around the island. Sometimes you can also see them in April onwards. We are in contact with a lot of fisherman, so we have pretty good knowledge about the chances to see some. Just contact us to get the latest insights.
How long is the tour?
Meet the team at the Dive Center at 5:45 am, get ready for departure at 6 am from the beach frontage. Need to travel 20-40 km offshore or even more. Return approx 9:30 am depending on sightings. If needed extended the duration.
What is included?
- Boat and Spotter
- Snorkeling Gear
- Drinking Water and Biscuits
What to bring?
- Good Swimming skills
- Camera (GoPro Rental available!)
What does it cost?
150 $ each – min 2 pax
700 $ private boat